Friday 1 March 2013

Judge Dredd #4 Review


I have been impressed with this series from the get go, and with this issue this trend certainly continues. Swierczynski and the team have been doing a great job at attempting to make this book feel like a proper Dredd title, and I really do think they have been doing a great job. This particular issue saw the conclusion of the first multi issue story arc; which I thought was very enjoyable. Judge Dredd had to overcome a clone of a fellow Judge as well as bring down some evil surgeons; yeah, told you its awesome.

This story arc had a great story. It was always obvious that Dredd was going to win this battle, but I just thought the story arc was great at being unique as well as familiar for Dredd fans at the same time.
I enjoyed the battle between Dredd and Tarjay very much, as well as the battle between Dredd and the surgeons. My only concern reading it was how easily these surgeons were defeated, but then I realised there was a bit more to this issue than I was expecting. At the end of the main story, there was a reveal about the clones of the citizens of Megacity One, which did a great job at really maing you think.

That is another thing this book does well; does things that you do not expect. Throughout the issues already there are bits of humour sprinkled about that fit in beautifully and do not feel out of place at all. Not only that, there are reveals like at the end of this issue that really make you think like I said, as well as give the book a darker tone with immediate effect. As I mentioned in the intro, the team are really doing a fantastc job with this series.
The back up story was once again just as enjoyable as the main story, as well as also being directly related to said story. It also leads us to believe that we may have not seen the back of a certain character, which I think will be a great avenue for this series to explore in the future.

I really love this series, and \I know I am always going to get a great read from it. If the first four issues are anything to go by, I think this series will be sticking around for a while. The only thing that bothers me about this book is the lack of online reviews it seems to garner each time it is released. It really does deserve to have a lot more coverage that it gets, as well as having more readers that it probably has too. Do yourselves a favour and check out the last two issues of this one, I think you will be very happy that you did.

Rating: 8.2 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment