Thursday 21 March 2013

Comic Book Thoughts


Revival #8 - Another great issue that just had so much going on. I really can't believe how much story Tim Seeley can get into one issue. It really is jam packed, but there is absolutely no filler in it whatsoever. This book had pretty much all of the characters that have appeared in this series so far, as well as a couple of new faces.
We learnt a bit more about some characters that we have not known too much about previously, such as Lester Majak, who is quickly turning into one of my favourite characters. I really can't wait to find out the truth about that man.  I also think, but don't hold me on it, that the mayor is a new character. Don't recall him being in this series, so I am looking forward to see exactly what he is hiding.
This was just another great issue, and one that fans of this series will just lap up. Good work guys.
9.5 / 10

Supergirl #18 - H'el on Earth is over so now Kara can go back to her own story lines *YAY*. This book has been consistently good since the start, so I am very excited to start reading about solely Kara once again.
This issue sets up the fact that her powers will most probably be temperamental in the future. It also looks like she is getting taken in by the government in this issue, which is something that confused me as I don't understand why they all of a sudden have an issue with "supers". However, confusion aside, it still looks interesting. Add the fact that apparently Power Girl seems to be getting involved in things in the next issue; and we have quite an intriguing little story ahead of us. This issue wasn't exactly ground breaking stuff, but it did do a nice job at setting everything up, and getting me very excited for #19 in a months time.
7.8 / 10

Wolverine #1- This book came out a couple of weeks ago and I haven't read it due to being scared that it was going to be crap. I finally read it tonight and I can safely say that I surprisingly really enjoyed it. I am desperate, like many others, for a great Wolverine title come out. I don't know if this is it yet, but it sure got off to a great start. I enjoyed the characterization of Wolverine, and the story is intriguing me. It may still turn out yet to be utter crap, but so far I have liked what I have seen. Definitely will be picking up the next issue, and crossing my fingers hoping it will be as great as this. 8 / 10

All New X-Men #9 - Awesome issue. Everything linked together beautifully in this chapter. I loved the appearance of Lady Mastermind almost as much as I love the plot that broke her. This issue also did a great job at highlighting the younger Xmen' age difference. You can tell mentally that they are nowhere near as mature as their older counterparts; which is largely due to them not having gone through a lot of what the older guys have gone through yet. Bendis' dialogue was spot on as always here. Oh, and Jean Grey is becoming more awesome every issue. 8.4/10

Age Of Ultron #3 - I am still enjoying this series, however I thought this issue didnt really go anywhere. Most of this issue surrounded the question of who was going to be traded to Ultron; which was an answer we already knew. Thankfully Bendis' dialogue in this book is pretty awesome, and the reveal at the end also came out of nowhere, meaning that this issue ended up being above average. 7.4 / 10

Fatale #13 - This was just outstanding. I think this is the last of the one and done issues; and if that is the case then Brubaker and Phillips really made sure that they finished them with a bang. This one followed a woman named Bonnie, and was set in the wild west. It really was just great. This is how you do a one off issue which totally immerses the reader into the story. Great stuff. 9 / 10

Superior Spider-Man #6AU - Meh, this was ok. I was going to skip it but for some reason I thought it was still a Slott issue...I was wrong. I am enjoying this crossover event as I mentioned earlier, however this issue can be missed. It highlighted the fact that Doc Ock is in Peter Parkers' body, and that is all really. Oh, and the fact that he started the book hating on the Avengers, and then ended it with the understanding of why Parker is involved with them. As I mentioned, this was just ok. 6.6 / 10



As you guys can tell, I have not really updated this blog much over the last couple of weeks. I have been horrendously busy with work so I have had no time whatsoever to dedicate to reviews. I am still reading comics and keeping up to date with goings on, but I am just about a week behind at the minute. Due to this, I will be updating my blog with "comic book thoughts" posts for the next couple of weeks. Towards the end of April I will start writing full on reviews again ( I may even sneak in a couple a bit sooner ).

Just thought I would let you guys know what is going on. Hope all is well with everyone.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment