Saturday 16 March 2013

The Walking Dead #108 Review


Let me start of by saying one thing first: There was ALOT that happened in this issue. I always find TWD to be a really quick read due to the way it is set up, as well as it being one of my favourite titles too probably. So, I was very very impressed at the amount of meaningful content there was in this issue. Everyone was excited to get out first look at Ezekial, but we got tons more than just that.

Starting with Ezekial, I think I am going to like this character quite a bit. In this one issue alone we were introduced to his "kingdom", and we also got a really good feel of what he is all about. He really does feel like a leader; and one that you want to have for sure. He seems to be quite a calm kind of guy, but also someone who isn't afraid to rise up when things are happening that shouldn't be. Oh, and he has a massive tiger too; which instantly makes him pretty cool to me. So it looks like Ezekiel  along with Ricks' crew, will be going up against Negan very soon, and I really can't wait for it to happen.

Also in this issue one of Negans' biggest supporters seems to have turned his back on his leader. I really enjoyed how this was teased in the opening scene of this issue. This particular scene also did a great job at getting across once more just how much of an asshole he can be. I am surprised no one has gone against him sooner, but then again, everyone is absolutely terrified of him; which is very easy not just to see, but also to believe. I am very much looking forward to getting to know more about this traitor. We have seen him before of course, but I am looking forward to hopefully seeing a different side to him.

My favourite scene of the whole issue has got to be the one involving Michonne and Carl fighting walkers. Carl started over overly confident, however something happened during this brief encounter that made him realise that he isn't all that after all. What I loved about this scene was seeing just how much Carl has grown and developed. He never looked out of place at all, and it was very easy to imagine him as a future leader. Then, all of a sudden, he was back to being the young boy. I loved all the self doubt here and I hope it is something Kirkman will leave lingering for a while. After all, it does make sense considering he is only a boy. We can't forget how experiences like this will probably affect him more than it would the adults.

I was very excited for this issue due to the tease of the introduction of the new character. What we got here was a lot more than that; as well as being slightly unexpected. There was some fantastic character development here, not just on the above characters mentioned, but also a few more in smaller scenes in this issue. I love how focused Kirkman still is on doing things like this. It is his baby and it is clear that he is still taking care of it in the same way as he has been from day 1. Charlie Adlards' art was also even better than usual in this issue. It truly is a great instalment, and one that I am sure TWD fans will enjoy as much as I did.

Rating: 9.3 / 10





No comments:

Post a Comment