Friday 1 March 2013

Comic Book Thoughts


Green Lantern #17 - This issue is the start of yet another event in the GL universe; Wrath Of The First Lantern. I enjoyed how we saw quite a lot of Baz in this issue. Most of this was battling the Black Hand, as well as some interesting internal monologues regarding his past. For new readers I am sure he came across as a very likeable character.
I am not quite sure what the First Lantern has in store yet, but I liked how the issue set us up for next month. It looks like Sinestro and Hal will be back, which is always a good thing.
8.1 / 10

Action Comics #17 - I enjoyed this issue, I think. For most of it I am not ashamed to say that I was not too sure what was going on. Morrison has built something huge, and I am just happy to be going along for the ride. The pieces are coming together, and even though I do not get some of it, it is still fascinating to read.
7.7 / 10

JLA #1 - I really enjoyed this issue, considering the only character I really got it for was the Green Arrow. Some of the characters that I have not really read much from before, such as Hawkman and Stargirl, are among the reasons I will be dipping back into this series when #2 is released. I like the way this issue set up the series, as well as the first group the team will be taking down. I initally thought this would have no legs at all when it first got announced to be released, but now I am full of optimism, and I strongly recommend you to check this one out. 8.7 / 10

Indestructible Hulk #4 - Hmm. I like this series, but I have decided with this issue that I will not be picking it up anymore. Every issue does the same thing for me and I have just realised it now! They start off very very good, and then get totally let down by a poor 2nd half of the book. Dont get me wrong, this is not a bad issue at all, it just is not enough with all the great titles on offer at the moment. If it improves I will be picking it up again for sure. 6.7 / 10

Supergirl #8 - Yet another fantastic issue in this series. The fight between Wonder Woman and Supergirl was just epic. It was great to see, especially due to the great art that depicted it. I really did thoroughly enjoy it. The issue did a great job at setting up the final issue of this tie in in Superman #17, and I for one really cant wait to see how this will all end. 8.3 / 10

Justice League #17 - A great way to end Throne Of Atlantis. I have really enjoyed this crossover event, and I feel very satisfied with the conclusion. A very tense end to the battle, that utilised some members of the JLA, was a great idea by Johns. I am looking forward to seeing how this series will move forward in the near future. 8.2 / 10



Some things will be changing with this blog from now on, as I can not afford to buy as many books as I have been buying. My money circumstances remain the same but I am starting to find it hard to justify how much I spend on comic books each week. Due to this I am cutting back on some titles that I regularly pick up. If you do not see a review of a certain title then it means I will have dropped it.
I am also dropping titles due to not having as much time to read comics / write reviews as I used to have due to work. Therefore, you guys will be seeing a lot more "comic book thoughts" blog entries. I will still try to write full reviews for as many books as I can, but come the end of the week if I am struggling I will just put the remaining issues into entries such as this one.

New comic book reviews go up tomorrow!

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy these quick thoughts. Curious which books you'll be cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently doing it on a week by week basis. It is scary cutting books but unfortunately it really has to be done. For example, I have just cut Uncanny Avengers, which is a great series but I do not just have the time. As mentioned in this article I have also cut Indestructible Hulk too. There is too much good stuff out at the moment and nowhere near enough time for it all.

    Than you very much for the comment and the kind words.

    ReplyDelete