Saturday 9 March 2013

Bedlam #5 Review


I have been a fan of this series from #1, and I have really been enjoying the way it has been growing as of late. Some of the smaller characters are really starting to come to the forefront, and it seems to be going into a direction with this story arc that I really did not see coming; which means that this is becoming one hell of a book.

Once again, like previous issues, this had two different plot points running throughout it. The first of these being in the present day as Fillmore works with the police department in order to track down the killer. The second plot point focused on Madder Red and his treatment by the doctor that we still do not know too much about.
I am a big fan of how even though there are two plot points running through these books, they do run very smoothly along with each other. They also tend to relate like they did in this issue. Also, normally when this method is used, there can be one story that is less intriguing than the other. However, in this series there is no such thing as that. The past is just as exciting as the present; and I guess right there is why these issues are such great reads.

The whole question, or theme if you like, surrounding this particular issue is reformation. We have been led to believe that Fillmore is fully reformed, but some of his actions towards the end of this issue has made us now question that. The ending of this issue has not just led us to question what we thought we knew about the character, but it has also created a very interesting scenario that I am sure will be explored in the next issue.
I am also looking forward to finding out more about his past. We have been left to believe that the Dr who was reforming him was doing it on his own orders. This issue has questioned that; leaving us wondering just who the hell is behind it.

As always with this series, both story and art were exceptional. The art by Riley Rossmo is so very unique, meaning that it is instantly recognisable. It also still suits this book perfectly which I am sure I have mentioned before in previous reviews of this series. I know that some people may not like this series due to it being something that I don't think anyone expected it to be. However, if this is something that you have read then I advise you not to be put off by it. Pick up these first 5 issues, as well as the next, and make up your own mind with this story arc. I know it is not for everyone, but I can guarantee that if it is your sort of thing then you will love it.

Rating: 8.5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment