Thursday 7 March 2013

Superior Spider-Man #5 Review


I said this when I reviewed #4, but it really does feel like Slott is settling in with this series. I don't think it is just Slott who is settling in though, as I think the readers are finally starting to understand what this new Spider-Man is all about. This issue focused on Doc and his search for Massacre; which after last issue I could not wait to see how it was going to end. So how did it end for the baddie? Was he sent to the authorities or did Spider-Man cross a line he promised never to cross?

I thought the overall story telling in this issue was tremendous. The reasoning behind Massacre wearing a certain attire during his shoot out at Grand Central was brilliant. Touches like that are not normally found in comic books, as they are not expected to be there, however I loved the added detail found here.
We all knew going into this issue that Spidey would have a choice, and ultimately he did. I was desperate for him to go a certain way, and that is exactly the route that he took. I am loving the freedom that Slott has with the character, which I am sure he does too, so I am glad that we are still treading a fine line between good and bad. It suits the character as well as making an awesome tone for the book. However, he is not always doing bad, as at one point in this issue he was saving lives which he would not normally have attempted to do. The line is getting thinner!

Earlier on in the issue we were shown how the new and improved Spider bots have a face recognition system installed into them. This is something very worrying, and I am glad it got touched on at the end of this issue too. Doc Ock is now watching everyone at all times, which led to the final page of this issue. His last words in this were chilling; and I certainly cant wait for more development in this particular area in the future.

On a side note of this story we saw the introduction Anna Maria Marconi. I am not aware of this character, so I assume that it is a totally new one, which I am already wanting to see more of. Her and Doc seem to be hitting it off; so I wonder if these two may be getting even closer in the near future?

So, this little story has come to an end, and I really can't wait to see where we will be going next in the forthcoming issues. When this series first arrived it seemed like options going forward were limited, but now that has definitely reversed. I am loving the way Doc is developing as Spidey, and I am also very much enjoying Peter being there on his shoulder, which is surprising as I thought that this would ruin the whole "new" Spider-Man thing; which is has not done at all. If you want to read some great comic action then pick up #4 and #5 and I have a feeling you will be sticking with Superior for a while after.

Rating: 9.1 / 10




No comments:

Post a Comment