Saturday 16 March 2013

Batman #18 Review


So, Death of The Family has finished, so lets see what Synder and Capullo had for us in #18. What we saw was another appearance of a couple of new characters that Scott introduced quite a few issues back now. I was very pleased to see Harper back in a Batman issue, and I think the way her character devloping is very intriguing indeed. If you read a lot of reviews on this then you may be tempted to give this issue a miss; but I really highly recommend it a go. Why is that I hear you ask? Will carry on reading and I will tell you.

As mentioned in the intro, we got to see more of Harper in this issue; which is an amazing thing. When she was first introduced a few issues back I really didn't think that we would be seeing her any more. However, when I opened up this issue I was very pleasantly surprised to see her on the first page. We get told what she has been doing for the last few months; which by the way is something that I really liked. It was a great way of showing you just how she has changed over the last few months; meaning we saw exactly how much of a bad ass she is becoming.
I also like the introduction of her and her brothers father in this issue. It adds another layer to the family, and also goes to show just what they have been up against their lives. They are both youngish guys who seem to have some deep personal demons. One of these demons was shown here, and I am really hoping that we will be seeing more of him in the future.

Batman in this issue was also something else. He is still adjusting to the fact that Damian is not in his life anymore; meaning that the bad guys are having a bit more of a harder time than they are used to when dealing with him. I like the way Snyder wrote Bruce here. Admittedly we have seen this before quite a few times, but it is still something that I do enjoy reading. An angry Batman not thinking straight is always good fun.

The last part of this issue saw Harper trying to make Batman change his ways; as she could see that he was destroying himself. Her little speech was rather cheesy, but I think it still fit in quite nicely. It was clear that it gave the caped crusader something to think about, which will mean we will be seeing a different kind of hero next issue no doubt.

I really really enjoyed this issue. Harper is absolutely fantastic, and I am hoping that at some point in the near future Batman will take her under his wing. He mentioned in this issue that it is something he will not be doing, but I am hoping that something will change his mind soon. I am not sure of what Synder's plans are for Harper and her family, but I cant see him developing her for no reason. I guess we will have to see.
This issue needed to be done to show how Batman was dealing with his loss, and I do think everything was handled very well. I am, like everyone else, very excited for #19 where we will be kicking off a brand new arc. Don't be put off by mediocre reviews surrounding this book. Pick it up!

Rating:  8.7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment