Thursday 7 March 2013

Avengers #7 Review


As you guys who read my blog on a regular basis, you will know that I am a big fan of Hickmans' Avengers. However, I read reviews on this issue saying it may put people off due to how big a scale it is working on. I had visions of Morrisons' current run on Action Comics and I got very scared indeed. I was hoping that this would not be the issue that put me off the series, and it turns out that instead of putting me off, it has actually got me even more behind this book.

A lot of this issue was laying the foundations for what feels like an absolutely HUGE story. We were told about Superflows, which I have got my head around just about, as well as a Starbrand; who is the protector of Earth. Looking at this issue, not too much really happened, but it is the way Hickman explains everything for the readers that is really impressive. The issue never felt like he was stretching the plot out to fill one issue, which shows just how much he has nailed the pace of this series.

Hickman also has a great feel for every single character in this series, which is massively impressive considering just how many Avengers are involved in this title. Every character feels exactly how they should do, and I especially like this version of Stark. We see a lot more intelligent Stark who is less interested in his clever one liners, and more interested in working his ass off for the team.

I am still a bit unclear as to what the "White Event" is exactly, but I am enjoying the ride that this arc seems to be taking me on. The way everything is recapped at the start of each issue is also going to be of massive use for this series. Instead of doing it the standard Marvel way, this book includes full panels that have been in previous issues. It feels more like a recap at the start of a TV show than a comic book.
The next issue seems to be going into more detail about who exactly the Starbrand for Earth is. We saw who he was at the end of this particular issue, but I cant wait for Hickman to give us a more in depth look at this guy.

I imagine a lot of younger readers who picked up this series due to the film last summer will probably have dropped this by now. Hickman and Marvel have grown a pair of balls in taking the series in the direction that it is going in, and I sure hope comic book fans around the world are enjoying this as much I am.

Rating: 9 / 10


FREE CODE: TMM16HLQT6YT

No comments:

Post a Comment