Sunday 17 March 2013

Uncanny X-Men #3 Review


I am a big fan of this series so far, and after last issue I was very excited to see what was going to happen between Cyclops and the Avengers. We did not get a big fight scene; which to be honest is something that I was not holding high hopes for anyway. However, what we did get was some great dialogue, along with an argument that Scott Summers actually came out on top of. Yes you heard that right. Maybe the man is not as crazy as we all first thought.

Bendis has been building up the fact that Scott Summers actually has a pretty good argument for some time now. However, in this issue it really came to the forefront. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he was saying; which I am sure many other fans found themselves doing too. He came across as the good guy who is being completely misunderstood, not just by the world but also the Avengers as well.
Speaking of the Avengers, in this particular issue they were written to come across as complete assholes. Ok, maybe that is a little bit too strong, but they were totally single minded in their understanding of what Scott and his gangs intentions were. They also seemed more than happy to ignore true facts that Scott was bring up to them. I understand that Bendis wrote them this way intentionally in order to get Scott across in a certain way, so I did love the way that this worked. However,I am hoping that the Avengers don't continue to think in this way for a prolonged period of time. The members are not stupid, so I hope it doesn't get to a point where I feel like screaming at the pages at them.

Magneto also came forward in this issue to admit that he was the one who told the Avengers where to go to confront them. I am glad this came out here as it was quite obvious who it was. Leaving this unanswered for a few issues would have been the wrong move; so I happy with what I read here. However, something I was not expecting, was the fact that Magneto seems to be playing SHIELD. I was not expecting this at all, but it does make sense. Bendis really has pulled off something here, and I am looking forward to seeing how this is going to develop.

One of the new recruuits of Scotts team, Eva Bell, came to the forefront here too. It was nice to get a brief glimpse into her past, and I also enjoyed the scene in which she not just stuck up for her leader, but also helped in stopping a big battle from breaking out in front of her own home.
One of the things I did not like in this issue, which is unusual as I usually like the way Bendis does this, was the constant humour throughout. Normally I think that this is really well placed, but here I thought it all felt a little forced in places. As I say, it is something I am normally a fan of, so it is not something I am too concerned about.

This was another great issue in which Scott has come across in very well. I am very happy this has happened because I have not been the biggest fan of Marvel turning him into a complete baddie. The end of this issue also leads me to believe that may hear another big speech from him in the next issue; which is something I am also looking forward too.
This series continues to be great, and as I have mentioned earlier, this is a very exciting time to be a fan of the X-Men. If you didn't pick this title up because you were frustrated that it was being rebooted yet again; then I really advise you to have a change of heart. The character development, along with the foundations being set for the future of the team, are things that just can't be missed.

Rating: 8.1 / 10

FREE CODE: TMM140P3569S

No comments:

Post a Comment