Thursday 21 March 2013

Comic Book Thoughts


Colder #5 - What a fantastic little series this has been. Absolutely loved this last issue, in which the art was the best we have seen. Nimble Jack also really came to the forefront in this issue, and was even more terrifying than we first thought he was. The way this book ended was also unconventional, as I had a set last page in my mind as to how I thought it would end. This turned out not to be the case, which leaves me wondering if we have seen the end of Colder? Even if we have, the ending still rules.
Last week I wrote how I was not too impressed about how Happy ended. Colder goes a long way in showing that this is how you close out a mini series, so Morrison et al should take note. Superb. 9. 2 / 10

Sex #1 - I am really not to sure what to make of this issue. I mean, I did think it was fantastic after I finished it, but there really was a lot of questions and nagging doubts I had in my mind. There were bits of the back story left out from this issue, which I am sure will be told to us in some form in the future, however it did leave me frustrated in parts.
 Revival gives me lots of questions every month, but it is done in such a way that I do not mind it at all. Sex did it in a way that was frustrating as I felt like some of the details really should have been filled in. Saying that, it was still a great read, and I do really want to come #2 to come around as soon as possible. 7.8 / 10

Mara #3 - I was going to drop this book, as I was under the impression that I was not too sure on the first two issues in this mini. However, on the bus on the way to my LCS I was thinking about the first two issues and realised that I actually did like them quite a bit; hence why I couldn't help but pick this one up. I'm glad I did because this issue rules. I love development that has gone on in this issue, and all of a sudden we can see how Mara herself will be used in the future. This is a very solid issue that has left me desperately wanting the next instalment in my hands right now. What is great is that I also think Wood and co will be picking up the pace even more in the remaining three issues. 8.9 / 10

Superman #17 - Here marked the end of the H'el on Earth story line; which is something that I have very much enjoyed. However, this concluding issue was something that left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I did like the way H'el was defeated, and I was glad it was a certain character who ended it all, but the build up to that just was not good enough for me. Everything just felt a little bit flat. I have been enjoying this Superman title for what it is, but it would be nice if the quality of it did improve to catch up with the likes of Batman at DC. 6.8 / 10

Daredevil End of Days #6 - This is still an absolutely awesome series; however I feel like it didn't really go anywhere with this issue. If this was an ongoing series then an issue like this would be fine, but unfortunately it only has two more issues left now and I the pressure is now on. The appearances of Owl and The Purple Man were nice enough, however they didn't really add much. The Punisher is now getting heavily involved, but I am still unsure as to what his role will be in the grand scheme of things. The art was still amazing like always, and the story was still way better than a lot of things out at the minute. However, I just feel that a lot needs to happen in the next two issues. Oh well, in Bendis and co we trust! 7.3 / 10


Katana #2 - This was just horrible. Not touching this series anymore that's for sure. I was very impressed after the #1 issue, but this was just terrible. I am not interested in Katana or the rest of the cast at all in this series. I do, however, looks forward to reading her in JLA; where hopefully she will be written slightly better than in this. Save your money folks, avoid. 3 / 10

Thor God Of Thunder #6 - This was a great issue and was definitely an improvement on #5; which I thought was good but just not as good as the series has been. In this issue we saw how Gorr has become the thing that he is. It made us feel sympathy towards him, as well as giving us some real understanding into what he is doing. I really liked this as now I feel like I actually KNOW the character. An issue like this can sometimes go wrong, but Aaron really knocks this one out of the park. Do not skip this one if you are following this series.. 8.4 / 10

Wolverine and the X-Men #26 - A solid issue, however I was not amazingly interested in the content. Not read much about Dog before (Wolverine's brother), and this issue didn't do a great deal to get me interested.  Nick Bradshaw missing on art is also a bummer. Good enough though, and I am looking forward to hopefully seeing more of the kids in the next issue. 7.2 / 10

Fearless Defenders #1 and #2 - Great issues. Not familiar with the characters at all, but thus series is a great way to get into them. Very good plot so far too. Looking forward to #3 coming out soon. 8.6 / 10

1 comment:

  1. very happy that you liked the end of Colder!! it was nice seeing it and we will probably follow it in the future!

    ReplyDelete