Friday 22 March 2013

Avengers #8 Review


Firstly I am just going to start off by stating that I really can't believe that this series has reached issue 8 already. Just, wow. Companies are desperate to release number 1 issues in order to get new readers, then seems desperate to get as many issues out as possibly; which by their logic would mean less people would want to read them due to the high numbering. Oh well. The good thing about this series, regardless of being bombarded by issues, it is still a cracking series. Things really started to unfold in this issue, and some characters are starting to show their true colours.

Three quarters of this issue focused on the confrontation between the Starbrand and the Avengers. For whatever reason, mainly due to not reading solicits, I believed that this would all be pretty friendly experience. I really could not have been more wrong. A big battle soon erupted which helped to showcase some of the abilities Starbrand possesses; which look pretty awesome by the way.
We also saw some pretty awesome team work by Captain Marvel and Hulk; which also looked absolutely stunning. It was not just this scene that looked awesome, but the book as a whole looked amazing. The facial expressions were awesome, and I did find myself looking quite deeply into a lot of the panels.

The remaining quarter of this issue focused on Nightmask showing Starbrand exactly who he was and why he was here. I am going to be honest, some of this did go slightly over my head. I did understand it, but it did seem like quite a bit to take in. That is not a compliant by the way, I am just hoping that Hickman does not expect everyone to remember everything that they have read in future issues. If they keep up their impressive "previously" section then all should be just fine.
What was awesome about this scene was how it ended. Is Nightmask going to turn out to be baddie after all? It certainly looks like it at the minute. We also saw the reappearance of some of Hickman's newest bad guys on the last page too. I was starting to forget about them even though this is all linked to them in some way, so I am happy to see these guys back in the pages of the Avengers.

I know this series is not for everone; which is evident due to a lot of peoples opinions on the internet relating to it. However, I am still loving this series. I have a feeling some of the events may become lost on me in the future due to it bordering on being quite complicated, but I am enjoying the ride nevertheless. Unlike Morrisons' Action Comics run, which has thankfully come to an end, this is still fun. Not only that, it is keeping me completely engaged issue after issue. Yeah, I am a big fan of what is happening here, and I really can not recommend it enough. It is a series that is not afraid to make you think, which is something I am sure many people were not expecting from the Marvel NOW! Avengers series, but I think it is doing a great job at being itself.

Rating: 8.2 / 10

FREE CODE: TMM345GRAAH2

No comments:

Post a Comment