Thursday 21 March 2013

Saga #11 Review


This issue has taken the same route as the last few have done. It firstly showed us a glimpse into the past of Alana and Marko, before hitting full stride with events happening in the present. I am loving this kind of set up, and I am just still loving this series in general. It is still an absolute monster of a book, and this chapter was of the same quality of all others that had come before it.

I loved the first section which showed Alana and Marko sharing an intimate moment; that looks like it may have been the moment that created their daughter. The conversation between the two of them after this event was awesome to read as it was just so very human. I am sure many of us have had conversations of this kind with people, and due to scenes such as this, we connect to these characters even though they aren't human.
I really loved some of the language Alana used in this scene. It was something I wasn't expecting, which made me actually laugh out loud at one point, and it also made me fall in love with the character even more. Fiona Staples also maintained her record of shocking us with a first page spread, showing us things that we certainly do not expect to see on the first page of comic books. No complaints coming from me regarding this by the way as I believe it helps make this series what it is.

We then moved on to events in both ships, as they were attempting to get away from the planet that is sucking them in from last issue. So you may think that there has not been much progression in this issue then; but you would be very wrong. For one, a character that I thought got killed off at the end of last issue actually got saved in this issue; which is something that made me very happy.
There was also a very emotional part of this scene that I am sure will have effects on these characters for quite some time. However, I am slightly disappointed that the creators decided to go this way with one of the characters, as I think that he could have stayed with us for a while longer. Oh well, I am sure these guys know what they are doing, so I am not going to dwell on it too much.

After the emotional part of the scene was done with, we saw Marko have a flashback that was all in his native language. However, it was clear what it was showing, as well as clear as to what was being communicated ( even though we don't know the language). This once again shows just how great this team are together at getting their story across. I am sure everyone reading this saw exactly what was happening here. I was shocked that I understood it so well; but I guess I should have expected such great story telling considering it is the best series in comics at the moment.

This was yet another very solid issue. I can't actually imagine a time where this book will actually have a bad issue. It is just so consistent, but not only that, it just has a winning formula. If these guys are smart, then this book will be staying fresh for quite a while yet. For those people who have been in from the start of this book, you will love this issue like all the rest. Get a cup of coffee, sit back, and enjoy this issue.

Rating: 9.6 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment